At Stapleford, the children are always at the heart of everything we do. The rationale behind our approach to English is to empower children to feel confident in all areas of English by the time they leave us; we want our children to be fluent readers, ambitious writers and have the oracy skills that enable them to communicate confidently and effectively.
Our English curriculum is aligned with the National Curriculum expectations, which aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate
Please use the tabs on the left to find out more about English at our school.